About the Imagebase
Imagebase is a browsable/searchable database of images and
related information (metadata). The current version of the database and original scripts were designed by Anthony Atkins, and are maintained by the
Digital Library and Archives.
Use statistics for 1998-2001 are available as a PDF file.
About the Images
For more information
the Images contained in the imagebase, please visit:
About the Logo
The logo that appears at the top of these pages was designed by Anthony Atkins, with
help from Shawn Mulligan, Robert Smock, and Joel Brown. The logo is a montage of images
found in the imagebase. From left to right, these images are:
- Boys at the entrance of the Beckley Exhibition Mine
- Virginia Tech Art Student, 1960s-1970s
- Cheerleader at the VPI vs. William and Mary Football Game, 1973
- An Appalachian family canning apple butter
- Young boy on bike at the Huckleberry Station in Blacksburg
- Marva Felder, first African-American crowned Homecoming Queen
- Essex E. Finney, Graduated from VPI in 1959
- Passenger train in snow, Glenvar, Virginia, 1940s
About the Technology
The scripts that comprise the imagebase are written in PHP,
and read and write information to a MySQL database.